Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fashion Photography: Ode to the Zaftig

I am currently pretty chubbed out (but working on it).

My weight has always fluctuated drastically, with no apparent catalysts, so it's not as if I'm a "skinny person in a fat person's body"...I straddle both sides, with the accompanying double wardrobe.

Ideally (on my skinny days) I am a perfect sample size 8, but today (this week, this month....this year) is most certainly not a skinny one.

Being a size 10 [cou-12-gh] while working in a world of size 8 samples is frustrating. I can only imagine the pressure felt by those in the size 2 print and runway fashion world.

As a tribute to "non-waifs" (because, seriously, these girls seen on the street would not bring to mind the words "fat" or overweight in a million years), I've compiled a little spread of the Plus-size model.

Most of these photos are of Crystal Renn, the anorexic turned plus size model, who is one of the only accepted  mainstream print "non-waifs" (she is only a size 10 mind you). 

Even cute, chubby Marilyn at her heaviest Some Like it Hot weight (which was immediately after a miscarriage) was probably only a whopping size 6.

It helps put things into perspective when you are trying desperately to zip up that dress you are able to fit into only on your skinniest days. 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. These "plus" sized models really aren't even "plus" sized. I'm right there with you, I usually wear a 9 but I definately go up and back down again. Honestly, I would love to see "plus" sized advertising more than the sickly skinny girls. I love the quote, "Beauty is not determined by the size of your jeans" so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's crazy that these are PLUS SIZED models. I found a photo of the same model rocking the runway in a Jean Paul Gaultier show. I think she was even carrying a basket of baguettes. Yay for carbs!

    ReplyDelete